Few things have as much of an impact on a living room setup as a coffee table. It’s not just about having a place to chat with friends, or even the architecture of the coffee table. The decorations that you make can change a large portion of the ambiance that you have in the home.
You can’t go wrong with things that make you happy or look beautiful. You can go as traditional as you like or it could be something that is a little more far out. From chess sets to homemade gumball machines. Anything goes
Are you looking to make more of a statement with your coffee table? This guide will help you understand how to turn your decor into the right statement.
Before You Begin: The Right Amount Of Coffee Table Decor
You need to have something to give your coffee table a pop of style. Think about it: a coffee table that’s cluttered says you’re a mess, while a table with nothing on it seems sparse. There has to be an even balance. The question is, what is that balance?
Most coffee tables do well with a single centerpiece, or an odd number of items clustered closely together. Odd numbers give your table a more natural, inviting appearance—though why that design phenomenon occurs isn’t always easy to figure out.
Where Should Your Decorations Go?
Most of the time, the best place to put a coffee table decoration set is to put it at the center of the table, or slightly off-center. Putting it at the far edge of a table often makes the coffee table look lopsided.
What Should You Decorate Your Table With?
What you choose to decorate your table with is just as important as decorating them. We’re going to go through the basics.
A tray may seem like a very 1940s thing to have, but hear me out. It can help give you a place to display other decorative items and also adds a traditional touch to your table’s look. The key is to find an eye-catching tray that works with your style. Plus it makes it easy to clear the coffee table for other purposes!
A silver or gold tray like the one below is super versatile.
- Shining stylish gold decorative tray for use on entry way table, vanity, ottoman, dresser or coffee table.
- Can work as jewlry tray, cosmetic organiser, coffee table serving tray, key tray, candle plate, indoor planter.
- Made of stainless steel. Shining gold color light up your room, ideal home decor.
- Great gift for housewife, mother's day, homewarming, newlyweds.
- Diameter: 12.6inches; Height: 0.7inches
Or go with a wood one to bring in some warm color
- Rustic burnt wood serving tray perfect for breakfast in bed and for serving appetizers and cocktails to your guests
- Features 2 matte black metal handles for quick and easy transportation
- Great for serving appetizers, cocktails, tea, desserts, breakfast in bed or as antique coffee table decor
- Provides an attractive backdrop for displaying decorative items on your coffee table or ottoman; Also, great to use as bedroom and living room decor
- Approximate Dimensions (in inches): 2.5 H x 20 W x 14 D **Color in the photo may vary from the actual wood due to individual monitor with variable color & resolution**
Or a woven tray to add some texture to the room.
- Multi purpose tray, decorative Center tray, small decoration, suitable for any occasion, such as coffee table, dining room, family, kitchen, bread and coffee bar, office tea room table, party, dining room, living room, bathroom, etc. It's great to show and serve fruit, bread, candy and other pastries, and it's very well organized.
- Suitable for serving food, fruit, coffee, tea, dessert, bread, cake, dinner, breakfast, party bar tray, etc.
- It is well-made and tightly woven; it can be easily matched with various table arrangements; it looks like a great thing to decorate your table top, table top and country style furniture, making your home rich in life taste.
- The tray is round with handle and easy to use. The round tray is made of rattan material, full of natural flavor, durable and environmental protection.
- There are three different sizes, about 8.7 inches / 9.5 inches / 11 inches (22cm / 24cm / 28cm), which can be selected according to your own needs.
Did you ever hear the term “coffee table book?” If so, you already know that this is a thing. Books give your table a smart, educated look. Most people prefer to use a small stack of them in the middle of the table, topped with a statue.
Choosing a large book filled with colorful photos is a must. Plus you can use the colors of the book cover to help created a color story in your room.
Our family loves books from our favorite travels.
- Hardcover Book
- DK Eyewitness (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 320 Pages - 10/27/2020 (Publication Date) - DK Eyewitness Travel (Publisher)
Or how about getting a book from a noted artist?
- Great product!
- Banksy (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 192 Pages - 04/01/2007 (Publication Date) - Century (Publisher)
Bowls of Fruit
Another old school choice that you can make is to use a bowl to carry fruit, elegant flowers, or decorative balls. This gives your coffee table a little bit of function, especially if you’re the type of person to eat an apple while you read the newspaper.
We often use the bowl on the coffee table as a place to put charades clues!
Heck, even the decorative bowl alone can make a wonderful statement in the right room.
Do you love farmhouse style?
- Decorate Your Home with Personality – Showcase your style with this decorative, modern farmhouse oval ceramic vase. Create a space in your home with bold, rustic yet elegant and effortlessly beautiful home décor pieces
- Multi-Purpose Decorative Ceramic Vase – (10”L x 5”W x 5”H) This decorative oval vase can be used in many different ways. The beauty of this oval vase looks stunning on its own or add in faux florals, stems, buds and greenery for a pop of color. NOT ideal for water and real florals
- Long Lasting Quality – Crafted from durable ceramic, and finished with a crackled off-white lightly distressed look, this piece is sure to set the stage anywhere. This durable, high-quality, trend lasting vase will keep your décor looking fresh and up-to-date year after year
- Create a Beautiful Centerpiece – This modern farmhouse oval vase can be placed in many different categories and styles; modern farmhouse, rustic, vintage charm, country, elegant yet rustic and the list goes on. The versatility of this decorative vase makes it perfect to use for wedding, bridal and baby showers. Bring this out for your next gathering for an instant, stunning centerpiece
- Showcase Your Style with Confidence – Decorating your home brings your personality to life. This stunning decorative off-white oval vase works well with faux florals to add a pop of color that will be sure to wow anyone. Pair it with faux stems for an instant, fresh look in any room
Are you a nut for mid-century modern?
- STYLISH DESIGN. This geometric gold fruit holder is a great choice to add a chic vibe to your modern home. Display it on your dining table, kitchen counter, or coffee table. It is a good match for any apartment or home decoration.
- WELL MADE. This wire fruit basket is made of high-quality wire iron. The strong and sturdy frame can last years of constant use. Its resistance to corrosion and dust makes it easy to clean.
- JUST THE RIGHT SIZE. This modern fruit bowl measures 12 inches wide, 4 inches high. It’s the perfect size to hold plenty of fruit and doesn’t take up the entire counter.
- KEEP FRUIT AND VEGETABLES FRESH. Lovely geometric configurations allow air to flow around the fruit so that fruit on the bottom stays fresher longer.
- GREAT GIFT OPTION. Looking for a housewarming or birthday gift for your friends and family? This is one that won’t go wrong.
Are you a boho gal?
- 🍃WOVEN COILED SEAGRASS BOWL: Made from natural fibres and handmade by artisans in Vietnam, this woven basket is truly unique.
- 🍃IDEAL FOR A RUSTIC BOHO WALL: If you love boho décor, why not create the perfect on trend boho chic wall with this handmade decorative round bowl.
- 🍃LIGHTWEIGHT & EASY TO HANG: The woven bowl has a hook on the back and is lightweight and easy to hang in no time.
- 🍃ORGANIZER OR CENTREPIECE: This eco friendly decorative bowl looks great as a wall hanging in the kitchen, living room, bedroom, dining room or hallway. Or why not use as an organizer, fruit basket or coffee table ornament.
- 🍃UNIQUE GIFT: A great housewarming and birthday gift for a friend who loves interior design. It's also the perfect gift for her this Christmas or why not just treat yourself?
Want to get a more modern decoration for your table? A small statue is a good place to start. When we say small, we mean no larger than seven inches in height. The statue shouldn’t overwhelm or hog space. It’s more about adding a punch of style without crowding out potential coffee plates.
Plus statues are fabulous for displaying your personality! Grab your kids old toy dinosaur collection and spray paint them gold. You have a quirky, low cost centerpiece that will get your guests talking.
Choosing a light-colored statue is a good way to get a modern touch to your home.
- Pretty chubby crafted owl statue with dots pattern, blends well with most home decor and holiday decors. Just place it on the place you like, such as bookshelf, fireplace mantel, TV cabinet, windowsill, nightstands, table, desk, desktop, coffee corner bar table, entertainment center, etc.
- Adorable shelf decor blends perfectly with all kind of shelves, such as book shelves, floating shelves, cube shelf, hanging shelves, ladder shelf, hexagon shelves, pipe shelves, wall shelves, corner shelf, bathroom shelves, shelves for bedroom, plant shelf, closet shelves, white shelves, black shelf, rustic shelves, desk shelf, small shelf, display shelf, kitchen shelf, shoe shelf, wood shelves, moon shelf, pantry shelves, tv shelf, dvd shelf, glass shelves, storage shelves, acrylic shelves, etc
- Small chic cute owl figurine is approximately 4.5 inch tall. Style: Stylish craftsmanship, dots art design. Perfect addition for most other decorative items objects, like artificial plants, wood sign, decorative clock, wood photo picture frame, rattan ball, and more. It will makeover your room and this ended up being perfect.
- Sophisticated Owl Ornament, ideal for home decor, room decor, kitchen decor, bathroom decor, bedroom decor, office decor, living room decor, family room decor, indoor decor, western decor, house decor, laundry room decor, rustic home decor, apartment decor, garage decor, white decor, black decor, modern decor, wall decor, farmhouse decor. Adorable addition for aesthetic room decor, cool room decor, cute room decor, modern farmhouse decor.
- Creative Handmade Owl Statue Figurine is a nice gift for your best friend or family, owl lovers, birds lovers, animal lovers. Unique owl birthday gifts for grandma grandpa dad father mom mother men women, Valentine day gifts for her. Mothers day gifts, teacher gifts, friendship gifts. 2022 Happy new year decorations. Thanksgiving decorations. 2021 UNIQUE White Owl Christmas decorations Xmas decor gifts ideas indoor ornaments.
It wouldn’t be a Millennial-friendly article without mentioning a potted plant as a piece of decor. Whether it’s a succulent, a small bush, or even a small patch of herbs doesn’t matter. What matters is that it’s green, helps boost the mood of your home, and also looks fabulous.
You don’t need to have a super fancy pot for this, either. Believe it or not, poured concrete planters are very in right now. It works well with both modern and contemporary homes.
- A pair of modern cylinder-shaped miniature planters in gray cement with matching drip trays
- Unglazed gray cement finish and simple canister shape complement industrial and modern design schemes
- Small 4-inch size allows decorative use on desktops, windowsills, counters, and other small spaces
- Perfectly sized to house succulents, cacti and mini buds. **Does not include plants**
- Approximate Dimensions: 4.5 H x 4.6 Diameter (in inches)
While we’re on the topic of potted plants, it’s good to know that you don’t have to have a green thumb to get this type of decoration in your home. If you want to avoid replacing dead plants, use faux flowers and fake succulents instead.
- Size: small potted faux plants measures appr. 7" x 7" x 8" (178 x 178 x 203 mm); pots are appr. 3.3" tall and 3" wide
- Material: plastic leaves have a bit white powder/dusty design, looking more rustic; small fake plants come already set in sturdy paper pulp pots with simulated foam soil; please don't put it in the water
- Delicate design: faux plants indoor looks exquisite and real enough to add a pop of color to your home; you will get lots of compliments for these artificial potted plants
- Small artificial plants indoor: no need to maintain or care for them, neither will die nor fade and will stay fresh looking all year long
- Spring decor home: artificial plants in pots are perfect for home decor indoor, farmhouse bathroom, living room, bedroom, farmhouse kitchen, entryway, dining table, tabletop, floating shelf, nightstand, windowsill, fireplace mantel or any other little corner that needs greenery houseplants decor
If you’re the type of person who enjoys entertaining people near the coffee table, it might be a good idea to get some classic table games. To get the decorative touch that you crave, it’s good to choose a game that has an “aesthetic” bent—such as chess, checkers, backgammon, or Jenga.
Do you love chess and want to have a game at the ready? Pick a beautiful set and keep it on display.
- ► WHAT IS INCLUDED: 1 Chess Board & 32 chess figures; 2 Kings, 2 Queens, 4 Knights, 4 Bishops, 4 Rooks, 16 Pawns. Free Storage Box Included. Comes along with RADICALn Branded Secure & Fragile Packaging.
- ► MATERIAL: This chess set is fully handmade from high quality marble onyx. Chess Board & Chess Figures are fully hand polished.
- ► SIZE: Board Size: 15 Inches. King Measures: 3 Inches. Queen: 2.75 Inches. Bishop: 2.5 Inches. Knight: 2.5 Inches. Pawns: 2 Inches. Chess Board comes along with attached felt bottom to avoid scratches. Seperate felt bottoms packet for all chess figures.
- ► For Everyone: It is best board game for the people of any age group; Kids to Adults.
- ►Multi-Purpose: This chess set can be an exciting gift and also to used as home decor item.
This game can double as sculpture and always be ready to play a super fun and quick game.
- Easy to play: Our activity game for families is easy to set up and play; this hand eye coordination game includes 24 game rods, wooden base, 4 frame rods, colored die, and wooden connector
- Exciting balancing game: The Melissa & doug suspend family game is a must have, award winning, and exciting balancing game for families; designed for 1 to 4 players, this game will have everyone hanging on the edge of their seats
- Multiple developmental benefits: Our suspend family game helps children develop hand eye coordination, cognitive skills, and interpersonal skills; it’s an exceptional screen free play option
- Great gift for ages 8 and up: The Suspend Family Game makes a great gift for kids ages 8 and up; Add the Melissa & Doug Classic Card Game Set for even more family game night fun
- The gold standard in childhood play: for more than 30 years, Melissa & Doug has created beautifully designed imagination- and creativity-sparking products that nbc news called “the gold standard in early childhood play.”
How Do You Choose The Right Coffee Table Decor For Your Home?
Truthfully, you can’t really go wrong with coffee table decor. Anything is better than nothing at all, so if you aren’t sure what to choose, don’t panic too much. With that said, these tips can help you narrow down what kind of decor will work well for you:
- Think about your personal style. If you’re not a person who finds books appealing, don’t get books. If you’re a modern furniture lover, you might want to avoid getting a weathered antique tray.
- Be realistic about how you use your coffee table. While most of the stuff we mentioned is purely decorative, sometimes, having a little function can be a good thing. If you don’t use your coffee table much, a small statue is fine. On the other hand, if you are a person who eats breakfast there, the fruit bowl makes way more sense.
- Match the decor to the color palette of the room. If you have a blue room, using decorations that have a blue tint (or keeping it neutral) will give your home a more elegant look.
- Don’t be afraid to switch things out seasonally. Seasonal decorations aren’t just for Christmas. You can get some pretty gorgeous decorations for almost every holiday out there.
- Make sure that you get coffee table decor that’s pet-friendly, if you have pets. Your dog might find a bowl of apples or oranges to be a tasty treat, for example. This could lead to serious vet bills.
- Never buy a coffee table book you wouldn’t want to read. It may seem like a silly thing to do, but it’s true. There are so many good coffee table books out there and it’s such a sin to waste money on a bad one.
How Much Table Decor Do You Really Need?
Decorations shouldn’t take up the entire table, obviously. Usually, one or two pieces of decor is perfect. A good rule of thumb to follow is that you should never buy more decorations than you’re willing to dust.
A coffee table never looks fully “dressed” without a little bit of decoration. Thankfully, this doesn’t have to be a major issue. You can always use illustrated books, potted plants, decorative bowls, or even the right table game to make your coffee table feel a little more homey.
If you want to have a little fun with it, try experimenting with different pieces of art or decoration. Chances are, you’ll be able to determine which decoration combination is the right one for you.
Pin this article for later!