Who knew that curtain rods could be dated? My guess if that if yours are 10 years old or more you have dated curtain roads. The bad news is you might want to think about replacing some of your older curtain rods, the good news is that acrylic curtain rods are super trendy and rather inexpensive!
As of right now, I know that I’m not the only one who is tired of metal curtain rods. While they definitely have their place in interior design, the truth is that metal curtain rods are losing favor. This is particularly true in the case of metal curtain rods that require tension. Acrylic is the new thing, and it’s time to appreciate it for all it’s worth.
Why Are Acrylic Curtain Rods So Popular?
When it comes to making your home look modern, an acrylic curtain rod set can add a lot to your home’s look. Here’s why designers are becoming major fans of them…
- Installation for many of these rods is a cinch. Most acrylic curtain rods are tension-based. Unlike regular metal rods, they are more likely to stay up as long as you’re not hanging heavy wet towels on them. This means you don’t have to worry about drills.
- Acrylic is stronger than it used to be. If you remember 90s acrylic, you would remember brittle plastic that breaks in two if you breathe on it the wrong way. This is not the case anymore. It’s just as strong as metal in some cases.
- You can get acrylic rods in virtually any color. Metal? Not so much. Acrylic can be anything from white to purple.
- Acrylic rods are naturally more affordable than their metal counterparts. Not all of us are going to be wealthy enough to afford real copper. Even stainless steel goes at a premium price these days.
- Unlike metal, which is prone to rusting, acrylic doesn’t rust. It’s true. Even stainless steel can corrode or look shabby over time. Acrylic won’t do you dirty like that.
- Acrylic show rods can be an accent, too. If you love the idea of having a metal rod but want to have some bejeweled accents, then acrylic is a great choice.
Cool Acrylic Curtain Rods
Now that we went over the appeal of this particular curtain rod material, let’s take a look at some neat shower rods made from it. Our current picks are as follows:
The Acrylic And Chrome Minister Rod by Elegant Home Fashions
- Tension rod extends 44 in. - 72 in.
- Rust resistant, spring loaded tension rod
- Tool free installatlion
- Decorative shower rod adds elegance to your bathroom
Now that people are starting to get inspired by 1920s glamour, it’s easy to see why chrome is back in fashion. Here, we have a blended shower rod that has a metal base with acrylic “crystal” baubles at each end.
This is a great choice for people who want to bring in old world glamour into their homes. It’s an elegant touch, especially if you have a crystal-heavy bathroom theme.
The Acrylic Single Curtain Rod Set by Mode
- Easy to install modern curtain rod set includes all mounting brackets and hardware needed for quick DIY assembly
- Choose from multiple sized curtain rods for windows 48, 72, 96, 126, and 144 inches in width
- Our clear decorative curtain rods capped with sleek nickel or gold enhances any living room, bedroom, dining room, kitchen, or home office
- Swap out your old metal rods for clear acrylic drapery rods to quickly and easily turn any room into an impressive living space
- Our luxe, acrylic window curtain rods can support light to medium-weight curtains and drapes up to 22 lbs
Acrylic curtain rods have the luxury of being able to mimic a wider range of different textures. This acrylic curtain rod is a great choice for people who want to have a curtain rod texture that makes you go “Hm!”
The pearlescent finish of this rod, along with the gold caps at the end make this a truly pretty curtain rod. The only issue you might have with this is trying to find a way to hang it up. Thankfully, there are mechanisms for that.
Fabric and Drapes Acrylic Lucite Set
- Set Includes all necessary installation hardware and instructions (Screws are not included), 1 Rod, 2 brackets, 2 end cap finials, and 10 easy glide rings with eyelets- Heavier Drapes may require additional brackets to support rod and prevent bowing
This stunning set includes matte gold colored rings to hang your drapery giving it an opulent feel. You can make simple white panels look extremely expensive by adding one of these amazing rods to your living room.
Bring back so modern style with these rods and make over your entire home.
Kids’ ⅝ Inch Acrylic Crown Rod by Beme International
Remember when we mentioned that acrylic curtain rods can be made in almost any color in the rainbow? Well, this is a good example of that concept. Beme International made a gorgeous little shower curtain (or bedroom curtain, even!) that was all pretty in pink.
If your kids have their own bathroom, then this is going to be a great choice for them. The baby pink of this curtain rod will let your girl feel like a little princess. Besides, pink can also look pretty chic in the right room.
The Tension Shower Curtain Rod by Zenna
There are some moments where you just want to have a simple shower curtain with clean lines and a quick install. This pure white shower curtain rod clearly has acrylic (or similar) elements to it, and is meant to be easy enough for a novice to install. Zenna has got you covered.
This type of acrylic shower rod is meant to be perfect for a dorm room or new apartment. This is meant for lightweight shower curtains that are quick to slip on and off. If you have a generic bathroom that just needs the basics, you can’t get a better pick. After all, basic doesn’t have to mean bad.
Brushed Nickel Curved Shower Rod by Premier
So, this is a bit of a twist on a typical shoer rod, simply because it’s curved. While it looks like it’s pure metal, the truth is a little different. This lightweight deluxe shower rod isn’t metal. This shower rod is actually made of plastic and is meant to be adjustable.
Though the rod appears to be metal, it’s actually acrylic that’s been given the color and texture of brushed nickel. This gives you a more affordable shower rod that still looks pointedly upscale in almost any spa bathroom.
Sand-Filled Acrylic Curtain Rod by Artistic Home
Are you one of the many bathroom owners who have a coastal theme to your toilet room? If so, adding a little sand to the mix might be a good idea. This nifty plastic has a see-through accent at the end that’s been filled with real sand.
The sandy accent gives your room a deeply oceanic look, which is awesome for people who want to add a natural touch to their room. Since it’s a tension rod, you also get the benefit of being able to stretch or shrink your rod to the ideal size of your actual shower.
We’re not even going to try to cover this up. We added this one because we thought it was remarkably cool.
Are Acrylic Curtain Rods Worth It?
For the most part, acrylic curtain rods are considered to be a more affordable way to get luxury looks without having to pay extra for the metal or crystal that would be needed in order to make those rods otherwise. Though they may be more affordable, the truth is that a good curtain rod can last for years and years.
If you are looking for a way to save money and also improve your home’s look, acrylic is definitely the way to go. However, if you are looking for a permanent fixture or want to have super secure shower rods that will be bolted into the wall, a metal rod might be better.